Flood risk is real
Every year, thousands of homeowners and renters experience devastating flood events, even though they don’t live near a river or coastline. Did you know floods are the leading natural disaster in the United States and it only takes a few inches of water to cause tens of thousands of dollars in damage.
Some important information about flood insurance policies.
- Most flood policies require a 30-day waiting period.
- Most homeowners policies don’t include flood coverage.
- People outside of high risk areas receive 1/3 of all disaster assistance for flooding.
- Federal disaster assistance, usually a loan you repay with interest, is only available when the president formally declares a disaster.
- Tropical storms, rapid rainfall, changing weather patterns, clogged rainwater systems…even drought or wildfire conditions can cause flooding- don’t let a line on the flood map fool you.
- Floods happen in all 50 states